Matric Notes Class 10th English Book Exercise Chapter 9 Selecting the Right Career Grammar Writing Skills

Matric Notes Class 10th English Book Exercise Chapter 9 Selecting the Right Career Grammar Writing Skills

Matric Notes Class 10th English Book Exercise Chapter 9 Selecting the Right Career Grammar Writing Skills


If you want to view Exercise of other Chapter of English 10th Please Click Here.

Grammar

Noun Clause

A dependent noun clause functions as a noun and begins with Interrogative Pronoun such as what, who, whether, that, if etc.

(Dependent clause doesn’t express a complete through and cannot stand alone as a sentence).

A. Pick out the noun clause in each sentence.

1. I often wonder how you are getting on. 

Ans. How you are getting on.

2. She replied that she would come.

Ans. That she would come.

3. I went to see what had happened.

Ans. What had happened.

4. He noticed that the clock had stopped.

Ans. That the clock had stopped.

5. He could not decide whom he should address first.

Ans. Whom he should address first.


B. Rewrite each sentence, changing noun clause into a noun phrase introduced by an infinitive.

Example: I know where I can find it.

I know where  to find it.

1. They warned him that he should not deceive them.

Ans. They warned him that he should not deceive them.

2. We discuss how we could improve matters.

Ans. We discuss how to improve matters.

3. She learnt how she should use the machine.

Ans. She learnt how to use the machine.

4. The child did not know how he can reach home.

Ans. The child did not know how to reach home.

5. The class discussed what they should make for the funfair.

Ans. The class discussed what to make for the funfair.


Present Perfect Continuous Tense

Form: Subject + Has/Have + Been + Verb (Present Participle)

Use: 1. Actions that started in the past and continue in the present.

2. Actions that have recently stopped.

3. Temporary actions and situations.

Since and for are very common time expressions used with Present Perfect Continuous.

Question: Has/Have + Subject + Been + Verb (Present Participle)

Negative Sentences: Subject + Has/Have Not + Been + Verb (Present Participle)


C. Use since or for in complete the sentences.

1. I have been studying __ three hours.

Ans. I have been studying for three hours.

2. I have been watching TV __ 7. p.m.

Ans. I have been watching TV since 7. p.m.

3. Tahir hasn’t been feeling well __ two weeks.

Ans. Tahir hasn’t been feeling well for two weeks.

4. Sarah hasn’t been visiting us __ March.

Ans. Sarah hasn’t been visiting us since March.

5. He has been playing football __ a long time.

Ans. He has been playing football for a long time.

6. He has been living in Peshawar __ he left school.

Ans. He has been living in Peshawar since he left school.


D. Answer these questions using Present Perfect Continuous tense.

Example: Why are you so tired?

I am so tired because I have been working for hours.

1. Why are you wearing joggers?

Ans. I am wearing joggers because I have been playing cricket since morning.

2. Why haven’t you finished your work yet?

Ans. I haven’t finished my work yet because I have been busy with the guest.

3. Why are you looking pale?

Ans. I am looking pale because I have been ill for the last two days.

4. Why hasn’t he seen you for so long?

Ans. He hasn’t seen me for so long because he has been living abroad for the last two years.

5. Why are you yawning so much?

Ans. I am yawning so much because I have been doing my work for the last eight years.

6. Why are you working so hard?

Ans. I am working so hard because I have been thinking to achieve first position in examination.


Writing Skills

A. Make a list of professions mentioned in the lesson and also write the qualification required for each profession.

  • Profession Qualification
  1. CA (Chartered Accountancy) Intermediate
  2. MSc BSc
  3. MBA BBA
  4. Mass Communication BA


B. Write a précis of paragraph 5.

Ans. Career counselors are generally well informed about such trends. The job of this department should be to determine the personalities of success observe and analyze their interest and to suggest suitable careers according to their aptitude. So, it is widely felt that career counseling must be promoted from school level.


C. Write an essay on “My Favourite Career” (220-250 words).

Ans. My Favourite Career

Teaching is a special calling, it is not a job well-suited to everyone. In fact, many new teachers leave within first 3-5 years of teaching. However, there are many rewards that come with this often maligned career. Here are the reasons why teaching can be a great profession.

Unfortunately, not every student succeed in your class. However, this fact should not keep you from believing that every student has the potential for success. This potential is so exciting. Each new year presents new challenges. Closely related to the previous pick, student’s success is what drives teachers to continue. Each student who doesn’t understand a concept and then learns it through your help can be exhilarating. And when you actually reach that student that others have written off as being un-teachable, this can truly be worth all the headaches that do come with the job.

You will never learn a topic better than when you start teaching it. I remember my first year teaching. I had taken Computer Science courses in college and thought I knew what I was doing. However, the students’ questions made me dig deeper and learn more. If you have a positive attitude and a sense of humor, you will find things to laugh about each day. Sometimes it will be silly jokes that kids share with you, and sometimes students will come out with the funniest statements without realizing what they’ve said. Find the fun and enjoy it! Yes it might be trite, but it might be true. Being around young people everyday will help you remain knowledgeable about current trends and ideas. It also helps break down barriers. Once a teacher closes that door each day and begins teaching, they really are the ones who decide what’s going to happen. Not many jobs provide an individual with so much room to be creative and autonomous each day.

If you have children, the school calendar will typically allow you to have the same days off as your kids have. Moreover, the same time as your children. In many communities, teacher are a scarce commodity. It is fairly certain that you will be able to find a job as a teacher, though you might have to wait until the start of a new school year and be willing to travel within your country / school district. While requirements might be different from state to state, once you have proven yourself a successful teacher, it is relatively easy to move around and find a new job.

Unless you work in a district that has a year round education system, you will have a couple of months off in the summer where you can choose to get another job, teach summer school or just relax in vacation. Furthermore, you typically get two weeks off during Christmas / Winter Holidays and one week for Spring Which can really be a huge benefit and provide much needed rest time.


D. Complete the following statements by choosing the appropriate words from the box.

Salutation date complimentary closing signature inside address return address writer’s name body

1. __ is the place for the writer to handwrite their name.

Ans. Signature is the place for the writer to handwrite their name.

2. The recipient’s name, company name, and address are called the __.

Ans. The recipient’s name, company name, and address are called the inside address.

3. The purpose of the letter is included in the __.

Ans. The purpose of the letter is included in the body.

4. ‘Sincerely’ is an example of a __.

Ans. ‘Sincerely’ is an example of a complimentary closing.

5. The last line in a business letter is the __.

Ans. The last line in a business letter is the writer’s name.

6. The __ shows when the letter is written.

Ans. The date shows when the letter is written.

7. The __ is the address of the letter writer.

Ans. The return address is the address of the letter writer.

8. Dear Mr. Rehman is a __.

Ans. Dear Mr. Rehman is a salutation.


E. Identify parts of the formal letter given below.

Return Address

House No. 5, Street No. 10

Johar Town, Lahore


Date

March 20, 2013


Address of the recipient

Mr. Abdul Rehman


Inside Address

10-H Blue Area, Islamabad


Salutation

Dear Mr. Rehman,


Body of letter

I am applying for the Technical Writer’s position advertised in the June, 2012, Magazine. My relevant experience is diverse and establishes me as a first class candidate for this opportunity.

My writing experience is extensive. I am currently employed as a staff technical writer for a local company. My past work experience includes business and freelance writing and editing. At my current employment, I draft technical description of products for the company website.

Additionally, I edit fiction manuscripts for an online e-book publishing company. Specifically, I edit for overall flow, content, grammar and spelling. In my editing role, I have regular interaction with authors and the publisher.

I am available for an interview scheduled at your convenience.

Thank you for your consideration


Complimentary Close

Sincerely,


Signature

Saeed Zafar


F. Write an application to the Managing Director of a firm for the post of Manager.

The Managing Director

Union Chemicals

Sheikhupura

Subject: APPLICATION FOR THE POST OF MANAGER.

Dear Sir,

With due regards it is humbly stated that through some reliable sources, I have come to know that a post of Manger is lying vacant under your kind control. I offer myself as a candidate of the above mentioned post.

My complete bio data is as under:

1. Name MuhmmadMurtaza

2. Father’s Name Muhammad Akbar

3. Date of Birth 18-08-1987

4. Domicile Sargodha

5. Qualification M.B.A

6. Experience 12 years

Sir, I am a young man who wants to grow and flourish with your dynamic and growing industry. I shall leave no stone unturned and try my level best to shoulder the task for the entire satisfaction of my seniors and your good office.

Hoping for a favourable consideration.

Thanks and High regards.

Yours truly,

Muhammad Murtaza

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post